In spirit of the Thanksgiving holiday I have seen numerous
friends post daily what they are grateful for, and it got me thinking: What is
gratitude? According to the dictionary it’s being appreciative or thankful for
something you were given - a tangible good or kindness. But after listening to
a seminar on how to worry less and enjoy life more (more on that later), I
think it’s more of a psychological state of being rather than a feeling. To me,
a feeling is temporary. You feel a certain emotion as a reaction to something
that happened to you and then that moment passes. The feeling fades and you become
engulfed in whatever else has come along and you may even forget about the item
or instance that made you feel that way in the first place. Obviously, there
are some feelings that are so deep they are ingrained in your brain, but those
are probably associated with a major life change so they are easiest to reflect
on. In these instances, they more accurately become memories than a temporary
feeling.
I have a friend who tattooed “Be Present” on her wrist as a
reminder to focus on what is right in front of her, and I think that’s
brilliant. Those two simple words have a lot of power behind them. So, I
enrolled in this seminar as a sort of virtual tattoo with the hopes of learning
how to be more present in my life. Often, I find myself telling my kids “later”
because I’m too consumed in other things, and I fear my lack of “being present”
will make me miss out on these precious moments of their lives. I know it
sounds cliché, but they really do grow so quickly and we don’t spend enough
time doing silly or fun things; it’s always business as usual. I know as a
parent I will have a lot of regretful moments but I don’t want spending quality
time with my kids to be one of them. I also miss out on events with friends because
I use my home-life as an excuse, so I forced myself to attend.
My expectation for the seminar was that it would be a simple
how-to with steps to follow on ways to pay more attention, but I gained so much
more. The speaker started by discussing typical things people worry about and
how that worry affects their lives. Things like money, marriages,
relationships, and work. Most of my worries revolve around concern for whether
we are raising our kids to be kind people or how I’ll accomplish all of the
items on my growing to-do list, but I figured the steps would be universal and
I could just apply them to my personal life in the form I needed. But then the
speaker brought up the subject of gratitude and gave a pretty powerful definition.
Gratitude is paying attention to what
went well. And I thought “that is an excellent way to look at it!”. Because
just those small acknowledgements of what went well in your life each day train
your brain to think more positively so it’s easier to be present and focus
on what is right in front of you rather than contemplate things you have no
control over.
*Warning: Nerd alert*
By just thinking of one simple thing that went right in the day you
automatically train your brain to be more optimistic. For instance,
neuroscientists have discovered that people who have a more cheerful disposition
and are more prone to optimism generally have higher activity occurring in
their prefrontal cortex (PFC). Optimistic people tend to have
better relationships, better health habits, and lead happier, richer lives than
negative people. These individuals attribute bad events as transient. On the
contrary, pessimistic people explain bad events as permanent conditions due to
their own personal failings, and they may spend hours a day comparing themselves
to others.
Every day we each probably have one thing that goes wrong,
so it’s easy to focus on the negative. Today for example, I got the kids to
school 20 minutes later than usual because of a stopped freight train that
caused traffic to back up for miles. This in turn caused me to arrive at least
30 minutes later to work than I usually do. Add that to an already somber day
(it was raining) and it’s a recipe for negativity. I could have chosen to let
these two examples dictate the rest of my day but instead I let it roll off my back.
Because there’s nothing I could have done about it. I couldn’t have changed the
train schedule, or reduce the number of cars on the road. I won’t let those frustrating,
adverse thoughts cloud my brain because they are powerful and consuming.
Instead, I will focus on what went well: Logan got ready for school without me
having to beg and plead. He got up on his own, got dressed without me asking,
volunteered to brush his teeth, and did this all WITHOUT CRYING! It’s a bloody
miracle. By focusing on the positive element of my day I found it easier to “roll
with the punches”. Hopefully this awareness will eventually help me to become
more present in the areas of my life that truly matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment